How do I apply for a Public Defender?
To see if you qualify for Public Defender services, you must complete an eligibility interview with the Public Defender's Office. We conduct these interviews in our office during the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. You do not need an appointment; however, if you'd like to call ahead for directions or to setup a specific time to come, you may.
To complete your eligibility interview, please have the following information:
- What you are charged with;
- The Court you were charged out of;
- The name of the Judge;
- The date and time of your next court date;
- Copies of your most recent pay stubs - if you are employed;
- Information regarding any public assistance you are receiving;
- Any paperwork you may have related to your case;
- Supporting documentation if you're involved in a bankruptcy proceeding or foreclosure proceeding.
Please remember, if you have a family court matter, you must contact the Ontario County Conflict Defender’s Office. (585) 396-4284.