According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. The “No Empty Chair” Campaign is a teen driving safety education and enforcement campaign to raise awareness of highway dangers during prom and graduation season. The message is "Be in your chair on graduation!"
The campaign will target specific infractions throughout the week, while also enforcing all other vehicle and traffic laws. The target dates are as follows:
- Monday, April 29, 2019 – Speeding in school zones
- Tuesday, April 30, 2019 – Seatbelts and child restraints
- Wednesday, May 1, 2019 – Cell phone use and texting
- Thursday, May 2, 2019 – Operation Safe Stop/promoting school bus safety
- Friday, May 3, 2019 – Underage drinking and impaired driving